NOTICE: The TGIMBA git hub repository has been corrupted and I had to start over. The link to the repository is here -> Git Code Commit
I have decided (again) to move to another one of my many ‘technology tracks’ (any regular reader will notice this ‘track’ switching). Given the realities of software engineering, the almost infinite number of different available technologies and there are only so many hours in the day, I write about what is important to me at the moment. This can be driven by interest, work topics and or any number of different reasons.
So, I am going to upgrade the .NET portion of TGIMBA. Its current ‘state’ is a .NET 4.6.x web application, a Windows Communication Foundation (WCF) service, a more modern Web Application Program Interface (API) and Data Access Layer (DAL).
Part 1 is the porting over of the .NET 4.6.x DAL layer. Normally, I would start from scratch on such a major upgrade. But, if you remember, I have just spent the last 2-3 months getting the TGIMBA Node JS API in working order. The long term version is to have a .NET core website that uses the Node JS API and most of the current code will be thrown out. The android (and any other TGIMBA clients) will also use the Node JS API.
So, here is what I did:
- Combined two separate DAL class libraries into one (not sure why I created separate ones earlier). The ‘Shared’ project is just a collection of common Data Transfer Objects (DTO) and utilities. The ‘TgimbaNetCore’ project will be the Angular Model View Controller (MVC) website (it is empty at the moment).
- Added an Integration Test project with test method stubs. I will fill these in for part 2. I was really surprised I had not added real tests to the earlier project. I will not being doing unit tests because most of this code will be thrown out once the Node JS API is hooked up.